Brisbane, QLD


Thursday, March 16, 2017

GRANDMA DUTIES IN MELBOURNE

Some time last year my daughter asked if I could spend a week helping look after the children while she goes to USA to spend a week with her husband, who is working there again for a short time. She also needed to reactivate her green card. I agreed, not realising by then we had decided to sell up and move. The dates clashed but we worked it out. We added a few weeks to settlement date so that I could jump on a plane and be in Melbourne for 9 days before moving, which will be 3 days after I get back. So I packed up the house as much as possible before I left home and left Bill to do the rest. Our other daughter and SIL will fly from Sydney to help him on the weekends. 
Simon, the home help and distant Swiss cousin, lives with Sonya and Bernie. He is great at looking after the boys but I am the one who spoils them and tries to be a surrogate mummy. I have the early morning shift. The little bundles of energy are awake and romping between 5 and 6am. Lucky I'm used to waking early and going for a walk (which is more peaceful).
However, it is lovely bonding with the boys since I don't see them very often.
Fox showing off his new hat BB for Bad Boys but I told him it was Grandaddy's hat because his initials are BB. We were at Alma Park in St Kilda. There was a beaut playground and lots of food trucks.

 Another day Simon took us to Water Marc a great water park in Greensborough. There were many activities and pools. Simon and the boys loved the huge water slide that you came down on a floating tube.
 Fun under the waterfall

 Simon plays with the boys in the pool and looks after them well.

At home we play in the rumpus room with their millions of toys........talk about being spoilt.

A reward for clearing the table after dinner. Then bath, story and bed. Then Grandma also crawls into bed much earlier than usual. I take my hat off to grandparents who look after their grandchildren full time. After the long weekend it was back to school for Fox and Kindy for Banjo. That gave Simon and I a break for a few hours. Time to do the laundry and clean up. 

23 comments:

  1. Lovely to see pictures of the boys again. They are growing up are 't they, me stating the obvious. Glad you got to spend some precious time with them. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee they are growing but children do...oh yes 5am starts are a bit much day after day, happens here sometimes too.
    Enjoy.
    Hope all goes well with your move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only recently learnt about the food trucks in Alma Park. We haven't been yet. Children are very tiring and make your mind work very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Fox and Banjo are growing quickly. They are both handsome boys, you must be a proud grandma and happy to help out. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have grown up so much. Busy days for you, but great you are able to help there and enjoy the boys so close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is good news you have Simon to help, think how tired you would be if it was only you. and a fun time to with the three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow they are growing up so quickly. I would think it was a good break for you from packing :-) We have done it so many times and I hate it. Take care t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane, i wondered that you were so quiet - thought you were packing up only. Now you're Supergran flying across the world to babysit those beautiful boys. they have grown so . And such handsome lads. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Banjo and Fox are sure growing!
    Great to see that they have been to the "Shearing Shed".
    Poor old Bill left with the packing......... ah dear!

    Still raining in "Glorious Terrigal" - the Glorious part is
    in jeopardy I can assure you.
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure who has the most energy-sapping job, you or Bill! I'd take the boys over moving any day, though, and they've gotten so big. What fun, swimming and a play park. I know they are loving their time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, while I know there is a lot to do with the move and all, what fun you are having with your grandsons. And, I'm also not sure who has the most demanding "job" right now, you or Bill...but certainly you are having fun and so are Banjo and Fox!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After your 'granda duties' I would think you would need to get home and rest, not move. However, I bet you enjoyed every minute of your 'duties'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that toy-box full of boys! If their millions of toys are anything like those of our great-grands, pretty much every one of them makes lots of noise.

    They're growing up fast -- I'm glad you get to spend some quality time with them , but I well believe you fall into bed exhausted! Nice to know Bill is getting some help finishing up the packing. You both will be ready for some quality down time when you finally get moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow---bad timing --but you figured it out really well... Didn't know that Bernie was working back in the USA... What is he working on now?

    Glad Simon was there to help with those active boys... He obviously is good with children.. I'm sure that helped you. Taking care of grandchildren isn't always easy ---so I'm sure you'll need a real vacation after you get moved... Good Luck.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why does everything always happen at once hey Diane ☺ How are you enjoying your new abode, no gardening must give you a lot more time to do other things. I totally agree about grandchildren, my son, wife and two grandchildren stayed with us for a week over Christmas..As much as I loved it, and I really did, I was exhausted when they left ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well there's something about being a grandmother that takes priority over life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They're growing up fast! Yes, it's exhausting, but rewarding too. I've been doing a shift this week with my older granddaughter who's been off school sick. She's better now, I'm still recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks as if you had a great time doing grandma duty, and bet it was a nice break from packing. Will have to check on back posts and see where you are moving to. Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks and ounds like a good time was had by all! We are doing a similar duty soon, I believe; can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what a great time you get to have! Time with the boys who are growing up fast. I agree, it wears us grandmas out but so loving both

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun time but lots of work too. A good break from house moving. Hope you find a lot to enjoy as you set about arranging your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just stopping in to see how you are doing with your moving. That has to be really hard. I have been in my house 35 years and cannot even imaging packing and sorting all that stuff. Hope all is going well!

    ReplyDelete