Brisbane, QLD


Saturday, July 12, 2014

THREE WISHES

When I was a teenager, I had three wishes: I wanted to ski in Switzerland, I wanted to own a sports car and I wanted to get married and have children. In 1966 one of these wishes came true.
 I was working in PNG as a teacher. I had been there for 2 years.





 I had met a nice young man, J,  at a party and we became very good friends for a few years. We posed in front of the tripod for this shot with our friends M and F. The boys used to play in a band.


I used to ride my scooter to J's house on the weekends and we used to go to the beach, movies and parties. J had a very good haus boi who did the house work. He was a shy young man called Joseph.

Towards the end of my second year working in PNG, I had saved enough money to buy a car. I poured over brochures and decided on a Triumph Spitfire sports car.
I had to oder it from Brisbane, Australia. Instead of having it shipped straight up to PNG I decided to pick it up myself when I went "down south" on leave.
J and I had planned to go on leave together.
So when school finished we flew to Brisbane and picked up the car.


 It was a beauty, a white convertible sports car with a red interior, my wish had come true. We drove the car south along the coast road to Sydney, where I introduced J to my parents.

 Then we drove into the Blue Mts and visited Jenolan Caves. Then we travelled on to Adelaide to meet his parents.


Adelaide was known as the city of parks and churches 

It was summer and fiercely hot, over 40°C a big difference to when I was there last week. There are also many more high rise hotels there now.

We went further down the coast to Victor Harbour. It also is much more developed now.

All too soon our fabulous holiday came to an end and we had to return to work in PNG. I organised the car to be shipped up there but I had to wait excitedly for weeks for it to arrive, but it did. I had lots of fun in this car but also some problems too.

25 comments:

  1. What a cute little car! I bet you did have lots of adventures in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story about your three wishes, Diane.. The Triumph is a cute car! I know your last two wishes came true, did you also ski in Switzerland? Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, you are happy person because all your wishes from childhood became true. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that car and what a place to drive it and see all that beauty..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute car that is ! I dated a guy in high school who had one of these and I loved it. Probably about the same time too. Love your reminiscing and the shots that you have. What a great journal this is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sports car, love the colours. What a wonderful trip you had back then with your new car.
    We also had a sports car.....MGB :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what great memories with a GREAT car! Love that it was white with red interior!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, I'm wondering about the other two wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is interesting that you wanted to go to Switzerland, given how things turned out later.

    Triumphs were not the most reliable of cars and very hard to work on, I seem to recall.

    I love the Adelaide photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHAT???? You had another boyfriend before you married me? I remember the Triumph, it was a bit of a lemon when I met you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's wonderful that you were able to have one wish fulfilled at such a young age. I really like the picture of you and your new sports car.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice car I can imagine how much fun you had with it. I have always thought a sports car would be nice to look at but not as nice to drive in but I may be wrong it is something I would like to do at least once before I die

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this story thinking it was the husband you had found and it was a sexy little sports car instead!

    As always, loving your story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely story and I love the car. Yes we also had a few old cars, they were such fun but yes we also had problems :-) Take care t'other Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fun story and what a car, how neat that you got your wish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly lived life to the full when you were young. What an adventure driving all that way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always interesting how many memories are tied to the car we had at the time! You had a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was a beautiful sports car! I'm wondering what happened to J? It sounds like you two were pretty serious at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was fun reading about your wishes, Diane, and how this one was realized and then so fully enjoyed. And perhaps in future posts we will all get to share in reading about how the other 2 were realized. And what a great sports car choice you made...ever want one again?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Indeed a cute car ! My first car was a Fiat 600, lol ! Maybe you didn't ski in Switzerland, but you married a Swiss boy !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great when you can achieve your goals. It looks like a car to have fun with.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! a white convertible with red interior ... what a buzz and so one of your dreams had come true. Whatever happened to J ? I had to smile at those Adelaide pics.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like a happy time in your life. How fun to be young and (I presume) in love, with a brand new sporty car, enjoying a road trip seeing the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A charming bit of nostalgia, Diane. Interesting to see Adelaide as it was back then. Coincidentally I learnt to drive in a Triumph Spitfire - great car! Thanks for sharing your journey and visiting my blog. (You'll be glad to be in the warmth up north - we're still experiencing very cold and wet days; but that's winter!)

    ReplyDelete